Monday, February 4, 2013

Sugar-free Vegan Dessert Balls

Several months ago, my doctor put me on a 3-week cleansing diet.  Naturally, I was not allowed to have any sugar, only honey in small quantities.  I came up with several dessert alternatives in that time to satisfy my sweet tooth, but the best one happened to be a suggestion from my mom.  Apparently my Grandma used to make a delicious dessert consisting of 4 simple ingredients: peanut butter, honey, carob powder, and shredded coconut.

Equal parts honey and peanut butter. Add carob powder (or cocoa powder) to taste. Roll into a ball in shredded coconut.  Store in refrigerator.

1/2 c. wild/raw honey
1/2 c. all natural peanut butter
2 Tbsp. carob powder
1/2 c. shredded coconut




I love this recipe and have since experimented using crystallized vs. "runny" honey, all natural peanut butter vs. homemade almond butter, etc.  This recipe is so forgiving!  If the consistency of your honey is too runny, add more peanut butter.  Or if your honey is too thick, try softening it with hot water first.  I have also found that putting the dessert balls in the fridge for even 15 minutes helps them solidify.  Just use these 4 simple ingredients in whatever way you want, and you are sure to have a tasty dessert!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment