Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Sore Throat Home Remedy

It's that time of year again...everyone bust out the over-the-counter crap with ingredients I can't even pronounce, much less know where they come from!  Instead I've found a quick and easy home remedy to help sooth my sore/itchy/coughing throat that decided to give out on me this week.

I came across it on a blog called "Good Food Matters" and decided to try it out.  Click here for the link to the original post and recipe.  The author uses this home remedy whenever she feels a cold coming on.  It only uses 4 common ingredients, so she keeps a jar on hand and swallows a tablespoon every now and then.

I, however, concocted the recipe with a slight adaptation and drank the whole thing like a nightcap.  All I did was add a little more water and a little more honey than the original called for.  Here's the modified recipe:

1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 Tbsp. organic honey
3/4 c. hot water

The directions are easy: dissolve spices in apple cider vinegar and hot water, add honey and stir.  Then drink up!

It is definitely a potent tonic, but my throat feels so much better now!



1 comment:

  1. A friend of mine gave me some of this one time I was sick, and it really does seem to work! I also found that it was better to sip it regularly vs. take it like a medicine (e.g., every 4-6 hours). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete