Saturday, June 16, 2012

Nutty for Nutella

A couple of years ago, I got into a Nutella phase.  I would buy it the supersize tubs and go through it by the barrel.  After a few months, I realized it was not a wise decision....Not only does Nutella have 200 calories per 2 Tbsp., but it has a lot of sugar.  Meaning the delicious hazelnut treat I loved was causing me to have drastic mood swings, lack of energy, and gain weight.  Hence, I have avoided purchasing it for the past two years.


But today...I had a hankering for some Nutella!  What was a girl to do?  The answer: make my own, low-sugar recipe using the resources I had in my kitchen.  Here's what I came up with:

2 c. hazelnuts
1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 c. almond milk


Blend hazelnuts, chocolate chips, and cocoa powder in food processor until it resembles a fine meal consistency.  Slowly add almond milk, little by little, and continue blending until it reaches desired consistency.





I found that the 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips provided just enough sweetness to make it taste like dessert, without adding an inordinate amount of sugar.

The 8oz. mason jar pictured is about half of the recipe...my roommates and I already ate the other half!

1 comment: