Friday, April 13, 2012

My Story

I don't know about you, but when I make a decision to do something, I want to do it all at the same time.  I hate waiting around for results or to see the fruit of my labor.  But over the years, I have learned that changes are not made instantaneously, especially when it comes to healthy living.  If you want to make a true lifestyle change, you have to be like the guy in "What About Bob?" and take baby steps.  One foot in front of the other at a comfortable pace.

The first step I can pinpoint in my own life is way back in high school when I eliminated soda from my diet.  My basketball coach didn't want us drinking soda during the season, because it affected our playing ability.  After going a whole season without drinking soda, it was not appealing to me anymore.  This was my first "baby step."  I focused on one tangible and achievable task.

Through the years, there have been several milestones in my life: discovering ways of fun exercising (let's be honest, dancing is my favorite), cutting back on my carbohydrate intake, realizing fruit juices have just as much (if not more) sugar than soda, discovering the benefits and better taste of organic food, etc.  But to achieve these milestones, I had to take one little step at a time.  Sometimes I didn't even realize I was moving forward, and other times I knowingly took giant leaps.  But each small step got me to where I am today.

That's why I started this blog.  I am a work in process.  As I continue to take baby steps on my own pathway to healthy living, I hope you will benefit from what I learn along the way.

1 comment: